Sunday, October 30, 2005

Eid Thinking...Thinking Eid...

The following is an email I sent to the youth group this past week as a reminder of an activity (that part has been kindly removed). But the thoughts I shared with them are relevant here as they are a part of my thoughts and the inner-dorky-workings of my mind. :)

Asalam Alaikum!


Insha'Allah everyone is now enjoying the last ten days of Ramadan. I pray that Allah accept our fast and make us among those who follow the straight path and are granted Jannah! Ameen.

"So have you bought new Eid clothes yet?"

"Ohmigosh, I found the most perfect
outfit at the mall yesterday!"
"I can't believe you are gonna wear a skirt!
You of all the sisters in the world!"


"Yeah, it's blue and has light blue stripes..."
"The shoes are the best part..."

"You should see my scarf!"

OH MY ALLAH!
I haven't even started shopping!
Is Ramadan really almost over!
*begins to panic as Eid prayer starts*

These are just a handful of the conversations I've been hearing the last week. Actually, some of them I've heard since Ramadan started. And okay, one is kinda fictionalized...they were saying that the pants were the best part :). All this talk of Eid clothes is just a sign of the winding down of this holy month of Ramadan. This makes me both sad and excited. It is sad to see the time of reflection and self-rennovation that is Ramadan swiftly pass us by. It is exciting to stand by my brothers and sisters for Eid prayer. It is sad to know that our Masjid will not be packed wall to wall with the faithful as it is in Ramadan. It is exciting to hear that early morning Eid chant begin. It is sad to realize another Ramadan has gone by. It is exciting to seek the love and forgiveness of Allah in the months to come.

On a brighter note: I hope you have all found your new Eid outfits by now...if not, happy hectic last-six-days of tiresome shopping! :)
Salams!

P.S. I also want to remind you all that while we are able to enjoy such blessings as a great iftar with foods of all sorts, new clothes, and gifts, we have brothers and sisters around the world who are suffering and can only dream of such things as ours. Please keep our brothers and sisters in your dua. And if you recieve the blessing of money this Eid, do not hesitate to give at least a part to those who need everthing we can give them. There are donation boxes at the Masjid for our brothers and sisters in Pakistan. If you can, donate. At the very least make dua.

May Allah make it easy for those who face any hardship this Eid. May Allah help them and protect them. May Allah make this ummah rise to the call of duty and come to the aide of our brothers and sisters in Islam as well as our brothers and sisters in humanity. Ameen.

1 comment:

Absology said...

Ameen !
Nice post !
Eid Mubarak !