Monday, October 24, 2005

What a deal!

Allah has promised us salvation in the Quran. He has made things super easy.---That's what I was teaching my Islam class today. The lesson was an intro to the 5 pillars of Islam...we just began talking about the meaning of "Islam" as a way of life, deen, and the definition of ibada--worshipping Allah in all that you do... I gave them four ayahs from Surat al-Saf (61: 10-13) that talks about our 'deal' with Allah, the ultimate deal He has offered:


يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آَمَنُوا هَلْ أَدُلُّكُمْ عَلَى تِجَارَةٍ تُنجِيكُم مِّنْ عَذَابٍ أَلِيمٍ
O ye who believe! Shall I lead you to a bargain that will save you from a grievous Penalty?-

تُؤْمِنُونَ بِاللَّهِ وَرَسُولِهِ وَتُجَاهِدُونَ فِي سَبِيلِ اللَّهِ بِأَمْوَالِكُمْ وَأَنفُسِكُمْ ذَلِكُمْ خَيْرٌ لَّكُمْ إِن كُنتُمْ تَعْلَمُونَ
That ye believe in Allah and His Messenger, and that ye strive (your utmost) in the Cause of Allah, with your property and your persons: That will be best for you, if ye but knew!

يَغْفِرْ لَكُمْ ذُنُوبَكُمْ وَيُدْخِلْكُمْ جَنَّاتٍ تَجْرِي مِن تَحْتِهَا الْأَنْهَارُ وَمَسَاكِنَ طَيِّبَةً فِي جَنَّاتِ عَدْنٍ ذَلِكَ الْفَوْزُ الْعَظِيم
He will forgive you your sins, and admit you to Gardens beneath which Rivers flow, and to beautiful mansions in Gardens of Eternity: that is indeed the Supreme Achievement. ُ

وَأُخْرَى تُحِبُّونَهَا نَصْرٌ مِّنَ اللَّهِ وَفَتْحٌ قَرِيبٌ وَبَشِّرِ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ
And another (favour will He bestow,) which ye do love,- help from Allah and a speedy victory. So give the Glad Tidings to the Believers.
I was really into my lesson today...I was so inspired and felt like I was listening to myself while I was talking. The best part doesn't come until after school today.
I was sitting in my classrom when one of my students comes in:
Hey Teacher, are you busy?
No, not really. (I say this as I mark my place in the Quran and look up with a smile.) What's up?
So you know how you were, like, talking about those Ayahs in class today? (As his English teacher, I am trying VERY hard to break him of saying 'like' when it's not needed...well, I just ignored it now...I had a feeling he had something important to say.)
Yeah. The ayah about Allah's promise?
Yeah...well, I had a question...but it seems I've like forgotten it. But I know it was very important.
Let's see if you remember...The Ayahs were about how Allah promises that if we believe in Him and His Messenger and do our best that He will not only save us from Hell-fire, but He will grant us a place in....
Oh yeah, I remember now. That deal is like a business, right? I mean, it's like a business is offered a deal that will make it NEVER go bankrupt! Right?
Not only that, they are also promised that their business will become a multi-million dollar corporation!
Yeah, that's easy...It's like having an EASY button
Yes...it's an easy button...and I wish for the multi-million dollar corporation that is Jannah!
Oh what joy it is to hear the truth from the mouths of babes!
Thank you Allah for giving me the opportunity to learn and grow...even at the hands of children!
:)

1 comment:

Absology said...

Ma sha' Allah it's beautiful to teach children to love Allah and His way.
Also for yourself to be inspired by your students is a wonderful thing.
May Allah help you teach others the most important truths.
Ameen