Sunday, November 20, 2005

You live, you learn: Experience Prison

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful
Each of us knows what it is like to begin something you’ve never done, to go somewhere foreign, and to experience something completely new. We know the feelings of anxiety, determination, even excitement that comes at such moments in our lives. And as with everything in this life, we must learn from our experience and take away that which will make us stronger humans, better Muslims. As I agreed to go along a trip to the Taft Correctional Facility, I was determined to do just that. However, I was unaware as to the extent that visit would affect and inspire me.

SISTERHOOD
I think it was a sense of duty towards all my sisters, including my incarcerated sisters, which made me go. I had no reservations towards visiting a correctional facility. Indeed my father used to visit such facilities when I was younger and would return home the same as he went. But I never imagined that I would be of those to sign up for such an excursion. So when Sister Omaya asked me to accompany her and some other sisters to the facility, my initial thought was to make my excuses and be on my merry way. However, Allah had better plans. For how could I not go when I had no reason to stay home? What were my plans for a Sunday morning/afternoon? Could I not sacrifice a few hours of rest for extra good deeds and to show sisterly solidarity? Allah knows I need more of His blessings and sisters also. And so I feel that it was guidance from Allah that led me to Taft that Sunday morning, and it was with His blessings we were allowed to meet.
The ride to Taft, Oklahoma is a long one. Enough time to tell stories, laugh, and joke. Enough time to mentally prepare ourselves for the unknown world some of our sisters temporarily call home. But no amount of time could prepare me for the genuine happiness, the sincere joy our sisters shared as we drove to the programs building. I don’t think I have ever been hugged and kissed by any sister at our Masjid as sincerely as my sisters in Taft embraced me before they even knew my name. It was as if I were the one removed from society only to return home to them. These sisters who each wore her scarf a little differently, whose eyes sparkled though differing in colors, whose skin glowed no matter the shade, welcomed me into their arms, their world; I felt their warmth even in the small recesses of my soul.

DETERMINATION, PERSEVERANCE, AND THIRST FOR KNOWLEDGE
Allah says in the Holy Quran that it is only through Him that guidance is given. He guides whom He pleases in whichever ways He pleases. And since He is the best planner, we know His ways are the best despite our limited knowledge. These sisters have faced adversity in life. They may have made their mistakes and are receiving their punishment in this life. But things are not nearly as bleak as they seem. Allah promises that even in every apparent bad thing or calamity there is good, if only we knew. They may not be in the best of all places, but Allah has blessed these sisters with guidance and mercy, even as they may receive a punishment.
Every day of our lives we face problems that may be minute or grandiose. Either we face our fears and carry on with faith in Allah’s plan, or we fall a half-step behind with ill decisions and lose a little of ourselves and our religion. After meeting the sisters of Taft, I know a little better how determination, perseverance, and a thirst for knowledge can make you a model and bring you closer to Allah.
After coming to Taft, I see how my sisters have become determined to better themselves. Whether it be completing their GED, getting a college degree, or simply coming to the religious classes offered by Muslim brothers and sisters, these sisters are determined to gain something from their time in incarceration. Allah has given them this opportunity and they have taken advantage of such a blessing.
There are times when Sister Asiya, the leader of the group, may not be able to get what she needs for the class Sister Omaya teaches, or she may reach some obstacle in her path to acquiring clearance for Ramadan or Eid activities. But as this strong sister has taught me in our short acquaintance, where there is a will, there is a way. And as she and the other sisters stand for their rights and explain their beliefs, they remain firm. Such perseverance is a true sign of great leadership and deserves respect.
“Whenever I teach her something, she comes back for more,” jokes Sister Asiya about Sister Hedaya soon after she took her Shahada. After attending classes on Islam and fasting Ramadan, Hedaya accepted Islam on Sunday, November 13. Her story is not the only one of guidance. The same day Sister Hala also said her Shahada after weeping as she watched our congregational Asr prayer. All of the sisters I met that Sunday came for the sake of Allah. Week after week they get together to seek knowledge and get closer to Allah. And I pray that He continue to guide them and bless their gathering, week after week.

PULPITS OF LIGHT
Ever experience we go through offers some wisdom though we may not initially see it. Although I had no intention of visiting a correctional facility one month ago, I was sent in that direction. Even though I was sure that I would be the one to teach others about Islam, I became the student. My sisters have given me something no one but Allah can take away. They have blessed me with a glimpse into true sisterhood. They have taught me about determination and perseverance. And through their enthusiasm, I can better appreciate true thirst for knowledge.
The following Sunday I returned to Taft Correctional Facility to meet with my sisters once more. On this second visit Sister Omaya gave a brief Islamic lesson. She spoke of the Day of Judgment. She told us about the Hadiths of the Prophet (peace be upon him) and the words of Allah in the Holy Quran. She reminded us that on the Day of Judgment each of us will have our own records to worry about. On that Day each of us will fear for our own soul. But on that day their will be those upon whom Allah will shower with mercy. These believers will rest on pulpits of light even as everyone else is in fear. Each of different backgrounds, cultures, and races, they will receive such blessings even though they are neither martyrs nor prophets. They are the believers who love each other for the sake of Allah. For such love they will be safe on pulpits of light on the day of turmoil, the Day of Judgment. May Allah make us of those who strive to do what is right and refrain from what is wrong. May He bless us and guide us. And may He make us of those who love each other for His sake, resting on pulpits of light on the Day of Judgment.

No comments: