Sunday, November 27, 2005

Dream World

Setting: A large vast piece of land. From where we are standing, a small lake is visible in the distance. There are trees placed randomly by God in all directions. However, directly in front of us (it seems as if we have come from that area) there are many trees that have been planted in two parallel rows and are making a wide, yet low tunnel. Here in the open area, there are birds overhead, the sun shines beautifully, and the world is reminiscent of a heaven of our dreams.

Characters:
Teacher- This is me. I am exactly as I normally am, dressed for school.
Justin-One of my students. He is a great kid and, masha'Allah, a great Muslim.
Hakeem-Another of my students. A very polite, almost timid kind of guy.

Although both of these students are in the sixth grade and are rather tall (at least to my shoulders), in my dream they appear to be much younger and much shorter.

Act I: Confidence

I am lead to the open field by my students. It is a breathtaking view. The world is beautiful. I have never been to this place although it is clear that the boys frequent the area. They are excited that they get the opportunity to show me such a beautiful recluse. I am honored that they feel safe enough to share this magnificent place with me. It is very early in the morning, perhaps just after sunrise. It feels that the world is ours.

The boys wish to take me fishing first. As we walk towards the lake, I make note of the splendid setting. The boys are beaming as I take in the breathtakingly spectacular view.

Teacher: Masha'Allah guys, this place is beautiful.
The boys beam.
Teacher: How did you ever find such a place?
Hakeem: I don't know...we....
Justin: We just knew.
Hakeem: And you are the first person we showed it to.
Justin: Yeah, no one knows about this place. Well, almost no one.

Assuming they are speaking of themselves, Teacher (I) looks away at the beautiful scenery. I do not seem to notice the boys' hesitant glances at each other. But the darkness that had momentarily flashed upon their faces, disappears as they take their teacher's hands and run through the green fields.

ACT II: All that glitters

Finally making it to the lake, I am about to ask how the boys intend to fish when they have not brought fishing gear. But before I can ask anything, noise overhead breaks the sweetness of the moment.

Teacher: What is that?
Justin and Hakeem exchange nervous glances at each other.

Hakeem: I thought they don't come until evening.
Justin: So did I!

I now notices that the boys have become fearful. They were carefree only a moment ago, but now look at each other with desperation.

Justin: Teacher, we have to go.
Teacher: But...
Hakeem: NOW!

They speak with urgency. The complete change in their voices and demeanor give Teacher the chills.

Teacher (to herself): What could possibly make children so scared and drain them of happiness?

Both boys grab me by the hand and begin running. In their glee only moments ago, the three had ran throughout the pastures filled with happiness. But now filled with fear, the three find that they have run far from their point of entrance, now their point of escape.

Above head, I notice a fighter plane. It is green and rather old, but a fighter plane no less. There are soldiers on parachutes falling from the sky. The men seem faceless, hidden behind heavy green uniforms and dark masks and goggles. They carry guns and look ready for combat. I look to my right and see Hakeem running at my pace. I glance at my left and notice Justin continually speeding up only to slow down. I look around at the scene that had made us happy only to notice it is not what I had noticed initially.

Teacher: Look, there are....
The boys both nod their heads in unison.

I (Teacher) have noticed the fences. They did not appear in the beginning of their outing, but they are as visible as the sun was a moment ago. The world has become dark, everything we had imagined was no more. The fence itself is the worst part. It is ominous. It is enclosing us into a place that has become ugly beneath our running feet.

The boys are leading me to the alley of trees from which we entered. I now notice for the first time how short the path is. In order to pass through, I will need to bend over, almost as if in Ruku'.

Justin: Come on teacher, we have to hurry.
Hakeem: We have to get outta here before....

But I do not hear the rest of Hakeem's sentence. I do not need to. We are passing the men in uniform now. I can see that they are searching for something. I do not wish to be the hunted.

Justin: Just trust us Teacher.

I do trust them. But I should be the one protecting them, not vice versa. We run as fast as we can. I am breathless, but surprised that I can keep up with the two young students. They take my hand as we reach the opening of the tunnel of trees, and it is at this point that I realize something that disturbs me. These boys are so young, and I am old. I have been invited into the world of children, to Neverland as it were. And here I had a brief glimpse into childhood once more. And now the pirates had come. They have ruined our minds, our paradise. These soldiers have taken away the innocence of these two boys. I am now beginning to hate these soldiers more than I fear them. But I leave them behind, the gunshots and fighting behind, as we enter the tunnel that will lead us to the real world of such crimes.

4 comments:

Pedagocial Thoughts said...

Muslimah, did you actually dream this? It's sort of breathtaking. I wonder what the meaning could be..

LittleLibyan said...

yeah, I dreamed it two nights ago and haven't been able to get it out of my dreams. SubhanAllah...

Absology said...

Wow!
Brilliantly written, at first I didn't know it was a dream so it was very strange.
Still strange dream, strange and beautiful.

Absology said...

Wow!
Brilliantly written, at first I didn't know it was a dream so it was very strange.
Still strange dream, strange and beautiful.