Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Proposals

Yesterday, my 6th grade Language Arts class had two assignments. The first was an independent project---a worksheet. The second was a group project due Friday. I promised them the last 15 minutes of class to have a group meeting to discuss the project, and even though it was so quiet while they were working on their worksheet, I did follow through with my promise and allowed them fifteen minutes of meeting time. After making sure everyone was situated properly, I retired to my desk. Not five minutes later, I look up from my stack of papers waiting to be graded to find Justin at my desk waiting patiently to speak with me.

"Um, Teacher?"

"Yes, Justin?" I respond.

"I need a wife," says this 11 year old student of mine. He does not flinch nor smile. He is as serious as can be. I was taken by surprise. I mean, I still teach them Islam, but middle schoolers asking to be hooked up with a spouse? Yeah, I had no idea how this thought seriously crossed his mind.

"Well Justin, don't you think you are too young to get married?" At this point, he begins to protest.

"No, teacher that's not what..."

But at this point I begin laughing uncontrollably. I cannot stop myself. He is not shy; he joins me in our whole-hearted laughter. Finally I ask him what he means.

"Well, you know how for our project we have to do a reader's theater production of a scene from the story?" Being the one who assigned the project for our literature assignment of the week, I was well aware of the requirements of the project. I replied in the affirmative. "Well, I need a wife for my character."

"Oh," I reply, finally making sense of his slant towards matrimony. "So what do you want me to do? Would you like me to ask one of the girls to play that part with your team?"

"No," he begins. "Teacher, would you be my wife?"

Isn't that the sweetest thing ever? I'll remind him of that when he is older with ten kids of his own, insha'Allah! :)

8 comments:

Pedagocial Thoughts said...

mashallah, very cute. Sorry muslimah, but why do you give your students worksheets? Worksheets are evil. Would you be interested in having my Language Arts methods book? Maybe I should keep it to myself though, if I ever decide to teach inshallah.

American Muslim 1983 said...

Ohhhhhhhh Justin Timberlake!!! I love his song "Cry me a River"...

Absology said...

Ma sha' Allah you have such nice experiences with your students!
May Allah preserve them...now I really regret not becoming a teacher! :(
It was my dream.........

LittleLibyan said...

Justin Timberlake? haha...well, he is nearly as suave...though not as tall I dare say!

Absology said...

Hey hey!
In my county, the national teachers are not underpaid and overworked!

They're only overworked...

American Muslim 1983 said...

I am still thinking about Justin Timberlake here people!!!

LittleLibyan said...

"cry me a river" people! :) Worksheets are not the devil but they are not always the best method of teaching. You cannot expect any teacher to come up with genius lesson to appeal to every student ALL the time. And you don't expect any teacher to just make copies of worksheets and expect their students to learn by that means alone...so proponents and opponents of the worksheet alike: "cry me a river" ... You're right AM, Justin is much more important. :)

American Muslim 1983 said...

I think it is time to start a 'Justin Timberlake Fan Club Blog'!!!! First one to it gets a free nasheed CD:)