Thursday, November 10, 2005

Hijab in style

Last night I decided to try to style my hijab differently. I am sick of wearing it the same way all the time. I have been inspired to wear it differently before, but could never find a way that satisfied my desire to be modest yet stylish. But last night I managed to find a way that made me content. I am currently wearing an underscarf piece around my neck (pink). I am then wearing an oblong scarf tied around my head with the two ends are hanging over my shoulders and down the front of my jacket like a regular scarf (black with hanging threads). I looks different but nice.

My students have mixed feelings in regard to my new style:

"Nice scarf Teach!" said a fifth grade girl.

"What happened to your scarf?" said a 7th grade boy.

"Oh," said some high school girls as they take a second look. "You know, that actually looks nice."

"That's just weird!" said another 7th grade boy.

"You look nice teacher," said an 8th grader. "SIKE!"

Well, at least they noticed. :)

I'm really doing this because the girls need to realize that to be modest and covered doesn't have to be the same way for everyone. Each of us should be an individual with unique tastes. And if I like my scarf like this, more power to me.

No comments: