Saturday, June 30, 2007

Life...Just now...

I just ran into old students.
With a fake grill in his mouth,
Sadly covering his rotting teeth,
A hat with crystals over the lame emblem,
And a necklace praising the all-powerful mary jane,
He was glad to see me.
“I make 50k making airplane parts.”
Money even I don’t dream to make for nothing
“I’ve got a baby on the way in January.”
A place I can’t imagine someone so young would endeavor
“I’m not in school, I make too much money.”
Yes, money, what would we do without it?
“Yeah, I run into other kids from that year,
Shot, dead, life in prison. Some are okay I guess.”
Right, so I’ve heard. Dead. Life in prison. Or still in school.
“Don’t worry, I’m gonna take care of my family.”
With a limited future, I’m sure you will.
“You remember Aaron, right?”
Oh, yeah the bright kid from fifth hour.
“He’s gotta baby girl. Five months.”
Congratulations. A baby. A life. Responsibility.
“Well, it’s good to see you.”
Take care of the family. Take care of yourself.
“I will.”
I’m sure you will.
No one was there to take care of you,
I’m sure you’ll take care of you and yours.

Some of us have a lot
And throw it all away.
Some of us have a little
And throw it away.
Some of us have nothing
And still strive for something better.

I’m glad I ran into him.
But a baby? A BABY?

And so where will we be?
Where will he be?
What’s ahead?

No comments: