Saturday, June 30, 2007

Dream 1

DREAM 1

The rain falls oh so heavily in the night time. Especially when one is trying to sleep. The dreams it conjures up are amazing. They mean almost nothing except that it was raining in the night and my imagination attempts to play on every fear, every hope. Dreams may mean nothing; yet they may mean something disturbingly true and fearsome.

***
From my window I see the clouds: dark, ominous clouds already drenching the world below. From this vantage point, I note the already moist ground, the puddles already dark with mud and sand, the window’s seemingly endless tears. It is almost beautiful at first. A thunderstorm to refresh the earth. All at once the storm becomes something greater altogether. The sirens sound and the world is put on high alert. Above the clouds begin to rotate into a massive ball of energy. What was first a soothing summer shower is now a fearsome ball of energy not to be reckoned with. This change only takes a few seconds, but it is amazingly frightening and disturbing; and surprisingly awe-inspiring. For a moment, the ball of energy (for it has indeed become like a large celestial object looking for something to orbit) sits frozen in the sky above. It is a milky color; blues and whites seeming to fade into each other. It is as round as the moon and closer than an airplane would be to the ground. It is constantly moving within itself even though it is not moving away or towards anything. With the object frozen above us for some time, I sense that everyone is watching the development. Everyone is afraid. Everyone is guessing what will happen next; nothing like this has ever happened to us before.

With amazing force and a flash of light, and a loud crack that vibrates the soul and mind, the storm begins to fall. Everyone heads for safety, secretly praying that the disaster will not hit their house, their families, their assets; I know this though I am alone in my room at my single window to the world. And then there is the blast; a deafening noise lasting only a minute, the violent winds that shake everything, the blinding light that spreads and then leaves us without any light at all. It is more terrifying than the waiting. It is the truth spoken aloud; things will never be the same, things are definitely wrong.

Looking out of the front window of the house, I can see some of the damage. “Thank God it wasn’t my house that was hit,” I say aloud. “Thank God.”

The area only a couple blocks away is not the same. It seems the blast has flipped the town around. Signs of stores from miles away are somehow scattered carelessly around the area. Signs litter the entire stretch of land within my sight. Signs that used to mean comfort, food, normalcy, are all strewn in an open field. It is scary to sit alone and ponder what doesn’t make sense. I venture out into the world.

I pass people. I remember walking with some man for a bit, but the words he was saying made no sense whatsoever. I tried to console, but we couldn’t communicate. I looked ahead at the topsy-turvy sight ahead of me and I know. I know it is the end of the world. Some said it would come by fire, some by rain, and some by disease. It came as something we couldn’t have imagined. It came as a storm to end all storms. A storm left vivid in my mind.

There in the desolate darkness that is now or existence, I can only think one thought. Only one thing crosses my mind. I fear the future and what will happen. I swear the world was ending and I thought to myself,

“Well, it’s the end of the world and I’m still not married! No use now…”

***

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thta is intresting. in my end of the world dream, we were destroyed by a comec and alians and not being maried didn't cross my mind at all...
great post sister