Sunday, June 08, 2008

Two things worth mentioning

1. For about half an hour on Thursday night, it was like old times. We laughed at each other, at ourselves. We joked. We compared colors, hair. We joked. For about half an hour, we were young again and whole again and safe again. For about half an hour, we were they way we should've been always. For about half an hour, our smiles were sincere, unreserved. Yet even in that short amount of time, you could tell that there was something behind the smiles. We all knew that it wouldn't always be this way, and that it likely wouldn't be this way again anytime soon. We all knew it and laughed and smiled, enjoying the moment even further.

For half an hour on Thursday night, I had my family again. For half an hour, I loved my brothers once more. For half an hour, the past didn't matter and the future was no bother. For half an hour, we all smiled at the same time. For thirty minutes, happiness filled the house.

For half an hour on Thursday night, I sat on Adam's bed, I laughed at Ali's jokes, and I giggled at Abdullah's mannerisms. I almost forgot the past and cared not about the future. I almost felt completely at ease.

2. I lied to my friend today. I didn't really lie, but I didn't really tell her the truth. She asked a question and I don't really like the answer, so I didn't tell her everything. I can't. I have fought the truth with my mind and body. I actually use all my strength to do what's right. Every ounce of energy I can, I put into fighting it off. I think I'm finally winning, but I can't tell that to my friend.

No comments: