Thursday, February 09, 2006

Muslim Wedding


A VERY good friend of mine recently got married. (May Allah make them happy and bless thier marriage. Ameen!) The bride is Palestinian and the groom is an Okie who became Muslim over 4 years ago. They didn't have it easy when they wanted to get married, but alhamdulillah their trial only made them stronger in the end.

Point of the story: The wedding was fabulous! It was a mixed wedding although we split it up in the end (the ladies like to let their hair down---:) literally---and dance it up!). I was a bride's maid (their were 7 of us) and we all walked down the aisle and did a little mix of cultures. Masha'Allah, Sana looked gorgeous. She wore a traditional white wedding dress, but she wore a hijab on top of it. All of her bridesmaids (except his non-Muslim sister) wore scarves and a short matching jacket on our dresses. I've never been to a wedding where the bride wore a scarf. As a matter of fact, I've always thought it might look tacky. But wallahi, she looked wonderful Masha'Allah. And everyone was awesome. My brother was the official "unofficial" photographer, so I have pics of everything. Unless you've been to a successful upscale truly "Islamic" wedding, you won't believe how awesome a wedding can be even when you follow the rules.

Funny thing: My dad LOVED the wedding. He did the marriage ceremony so he had to be there, otherwise he would have rather stayed home. Whenever he goes to do a wedding, he usually leaves AS SOON as he can (which means as soon as the papers are signed :). Anyway, he was SO happy that the bride wore a scarf and we were all covered and she didn't overdo her make-up and it was Islamic and and and. :) I've never seen my dad gush about a wedding like that EVER! It was cute.

Another funny thing: We played "Forever and Ever, Amen" by Randy Travis (country song) as a dedication to the bride and groom (especially for the country-loving groom). While we were eating and taking pics we played
simple Um Kulthum songs on low as background music. So me and the other bridesmaids went up to the front of the room and announced the song. You should have seen the faces of the arabs...it was funny. Most people enjoyed it, his family found it cute and we all sang along quietly as we passed out favors (okay, so maybe that is not exactly following the rules, but I LOVE that song cause it reminds me of my Grandma and I remember it from when I was a young country fan back in the day). We did get some comments---"What is THIS???" but it didn't matter at that point.

4 comments:

Pedagocial Thoughts said...

Mashallah how sweet. Yeah it was nice to see these pictures. Because whenever I end up getting married it will be weird and as in the same scenario as this particular couple because my family is non muslim. So I got some ideas. LOL, I already know how I I want my wedding to be like though (a nice pot luck at some center)lol...

LittleLibyan said...

I bet you did drink too much iced tea...but yeah! That is my BEST FRIEND Deeny and me and the bride. I guess you know her from when she was staying in Norman? Right? It's a small world...and we're all somehow inter-connected.

American Muslim 1983 said...

I'm not much for weddings... Never really have been personally... Dunno why though... Just not my cup of tea (i.e. not my idea of a fun time)... Always seemed like something women enjoyed more than men... Although, with that said, I do have the tendency to attend Weddings just to savor the good tasting food that is usually present:)

Pedagocial Thoughts said...

Amus, now did you just say you attend events for food??!! Rock on...

Yeah I am a verdict for attending weddings to people I don't even know...just because of the food. And the same goes for any kind of party. You can't beat samboosa.. Man...gotta go for the samboosa.

And relections: now we see a reflection of you ;)