Monday, April 13, 2009

I want to study abroad. I am applying for a scholarship for a public high school teacher to take a trip to study far from home for about ten days. In order to form my response to the essay question, I felt that I needed to do some research. I read a great article about the need for more teachers to travel and bring that perspective to their students. The article "Where in the World Is My English Teacher?" was truly inspiring. In the article, the author mentions an essay by Alice Walker. I looked it up (isn't that what happens when you research? one thing leads to another?) and read it. The essay, like a lot of Alice Walker's works, was easy to read. It was like she was standing in front of me telling me about life and her experience. I enjoyed reading the essay and wanted to go straight to the bookstore and buy the collection of her essays. Too bad I stayed at the library until 10! Oh, well. There's always tomorrow. Besides, I still need to buy my copy of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. ;)

Whoever you are, you'll likely enjoy the essay too. Check it out: http://books.google.com/books?id=m9vSViOPwN8C&pg=PA187&dq=%22The+Universe+Responds%22&lr=

4 comments:

ibeebarbie said...

Salam,

Where are you desiring to travel? Wish you all the best. It sounds very adventurous.

Desert Rose said...

I run a Training center-would you be interested in teaching TESOL here in Tripoli ??

Allah's Blessing

LittleLibyan said...

Walaikum salam, ibeebarbie! I'm currently applying for a scholarship for a study abroad program to Paris for ten days. I may not get it, but it is definitely worth a shot!

Luna, I just might be interested! Can you email me any information please? kamlahmld@aol.com Thanks!

Salah said...

Phew, Paris sucks anyway.
Just kidding, I hope you get it. Traveling does broaden your understanding of the world and I believe it's very important as a teacher. Good luck and Inshallah you'll get the scholarship.